Why should we hire you and not one of the other candidates?
This interview question is one of the many scripted interview questions that challenge your ability to think on the spot.
You do not know anything about the other candidates. Therefore, you need to focus the answer on yourself. Some people focus on the three E’s: Experience, Enthusiasm, and Education.
This type of answer is weak if your experience and education do not qualify you to do the job. In addition, you not only want to show that you have the experience and education for the job. You want to show that you have a record of accomplishment and successful performance in this type of job.
Therefore, you should have a short pitch on how your experience shows that you have successfully performed the same job.
- State that you do not know the other people the company is interviewing.
- Say that they should hire the most qualified person for the job.
- State the objective of the job.
- State a list of successful things you have done to achieve and exceed this type of objective.
- State that the reason that you are interviewing for the job is that you enjoy performing the type of tasks the job requires.
- Close by saying that whomever the company hires, the person will be lucky to get the job.
- Say that you hope that the company hires you.
Preparing for the question “Why should we hire you and not the other people we are interviewing “is an excellent way to prepare to interview for any job interview. This type of question challenges you to think about your qualifications. In your preparation, you can practice giving answers that show that you are an outstanding applicant for the job. Answering the question with a positive enthusiastic statement about how much you want the job will help seal your opportunity in getting a job offer.
Image: Chris Potter/Flickr