Sample Job Description Marketing Manager
An established upscale wholesale garden seed packet company is seeking an energetic, career-oriented person to help develop and direct our expanding business as Marketing Manager. Our wide range of garden flower, gourmet vegetable and culinary herb seeds are sold to independent garden centers.
The Marketing Manager at our marketing and sales office will have a wide job focus: from creating and implementing sales strategies and marketing materials to managing our social media. This position works very closely with the company founder, management team and webmaster. Must be willing to learn our business from the ground up, be very organized and ambitious, have excellent oral and written communication skills and enjoy working in a small office environment with our team of staff and remote employees.
This is a full-time, permanent salary position with paid time off, medical benefits and room for increased responsibility. The ideal candidate will have 5-10 years of relevant CPG Sales & Marketing experience, preferably in horticultural wholesale sales or a related industry; excellent computer skills, including basic graphic and web design and an interest in staying current with new technologies and helpful applications; a passion for gardening, cooking and promoting our brand.
Some specific job responsibilities include:
– Maintain and grow sales of existing customers
– Develop new and existing sales channels
– Create and manage customer promotions
– Participate in new product development process
– Drive execution of social media strategy and search engine optimization and marketing
– Create and design sales materials, graphics, sell sheets, website content
– Identify trends and market potential and analyze results of sales campaigns
– Travel to several trade shows and industry events each year and develop trade show exhibit materials
– Regular field visits to existing and potential customers
– Provide excellent customer service to retailers and home gardeners
Computer skills needed:
– Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite for Windows
– Basic web design experience and familiarity with Microsoft Expressions and/or Dreamweaver
– Graphics & sales materials creation with Photoshop
– General knowledge of ecommerce platforms – we use Quikstore & Magento
– Demonstrated experience working with social media, blogs, email newsletters – Facebook, Ning, Twitter, Blogspot, Constant Contact
Excellent references, a portfolio of work samples and a computer skills test will be required of the final candidates.
More About the Position
This company is a great place to work because:
We are a family-managed business with a casual, small-office work environment. Our main office is located in the mountains above Santa Cruz, CA with a large trial garden of our products at the owner’s home nearby. During the growing season there is always an abundance of flowers & vegetables to enjoy!
Our brand is well-known and regarded in the home garden seed market the business is run conservatively and we have enjoyed slow, steady growth and profitability. The business is poised for expansion and we are looking for someone to help us grow.
The owner is a hands-on entrepreneur who is looking to train and develop the responsibilities of this position over time; someone willing to make a long-term commitment to our company and understand all aspects of the operation and brand identity. Attention to the smallest details are very important to the owner, who is the “name & face” of the business. She is looking to develop trust and a successful collaboration with someone who is patient and respectful of her knowledge and experience.
Our business peaks seasonally and the pace in the office varies according to the time of year. There are always long-term projects in motion and short-term issues to attend to. The days are varied and require someone who is comfortable balancing the immediate needs while staying on track with future goals. Everyone in the office answers the phones and is able to provide basic customer service for any issue.
5+ to 7 years of experience
Management Experience Required – No
Minimum Education – Bachelor’s Degree
Willingness to Travel – Occasionally
The Ideal Candidate
– Experience in mid-level marketing/product management.
– Basic graphic design ability: able to create/modify promotional materials, photo editing, good eye for design/layout.
– Excellent writing ability, a true “wordsmith”.
– Prior experience with online sales, pay-per-click advertising, search-engine optimization and interest in staying on top of new services.
– Comfortable with social media and creating an online presence.
– A passion for gardening and cooking
The ideal candidate has worked for these companies:
Wholesale products in the horticultural/garden industry