To apply, please click “Post Resume” on the menu above. Please refer to job spec number.
Job Title: Company Director, Merchant Partnerships
Reports to: Vice President, Merchant Partnerships
Interactions With: Sales Management, Retail Management and Strategy, Sales Support, Marketing, Business Operations, Finance and Legal
Job Summary: Sell, Manage and Grow a $1 – $5MM+ Sales Territory
Actions (Principal Responsibilities):
1. Business Planning:
Work with VP to develop a smart, focused Business Plan (to include a comprehensive territory matrix – key category and account plan) to prioritize and build a portfolio of new and renewable accounts in a pre-specified geographic territory.
2. Revenue Generating:
Prospecting: Secure meetings with decision makers at all key categories/accounts within pre-specified geography.
Account Penetration: Contact and accurately assess all relevant individuals and departments and organizational levels within key account list to sell, manage and grow the business.
Communication: Clearly articulation capabilities and credentials presentation including all relevant information (programs, categories, geography, pricing, execution). Focus on thorough preparation, client questioning (inquiry vs. advocacy), business opportunity assessment (potential $$$) and follow up.
Value Proposition Development: Ability to develop program/price/terms that make sense and lead to efficient, effective and renewable business (based on understanding individual customer & category finances and use of basic business math).
Negotiation: Ability to work with VP and Sr. VP to negotiate mutually agreeable pricing and terms.
Closing: Effectively and quickly closing business to meet and exceed quota.
Account Management: Ensuring that current programs are successful through active account management (alongside Retail Strategy and Management Team), continued client/program development (uncovering new client needs/objectives and providing unique business solutions), and continuing to penetrate up and across within their key accounts.
Intelligent, ambitious and experienced sales people who operate as business leaders. Past success selling in the marketing services arena (using a consultative approach) in a non-direct supervisory capacity is a critical indicator for success.
- Thorough understanding and demonstrated success in the basics of the consultative selling process – planning, prioritizing, prospecting, qualifying, presenting, value proposition development, negotiating, closing, renewing, strategic thinking and relationship building.
- Ability to see the “big picture”, primarily the vision to see how a territory, category, client and individual program may or may not fit into the company revenue and profit performance and advise senior management on trends, issues and potential problems.
- Excellent analytical skills necessary to understand and interpret the marketing position (including advertising, promotion, and direct marketing elements), data, return on investment, etc.
- Ability to quickly assess client situations, configure appropriate product/service solutions and produce correct value proposition for client.
- Mindset to see problems as opportunities and ability to develop proactive solutions.
Leadership & Teamwork:
- Loyalty, the maturity to understand and execute one’s role and responsibility to be an effective part of the sales team.
- Partner, the ability to compromise and sacrifice for the good of the overall company in order to create an overall better value proposition for the client and ultimately the company.
The ideal candidate has …
- High IQ, AQ and EQ
- Passion for selling – marked by “whatever it takes to win” ambition
- Coachable (wants to learn and grow)
- Complete honesty and integrity
- Strong leadership skills (can motivate others to get things done in a constructive, team-oriented manner)
- Entrepreneurial – is self-directed and largely self-sufficient (after an initial training period)
- Collaborative works well with internal teams
- Adaptable/Flexible – Building an industry.
- Education – HS & BA/BS (MBA beneficial)
Critical Success Factors:
- Technical Skill (Classic Sales Training in Fortune 500 Company)
- Ability to Execute
- Smart Risk Taking (Entrepreneurial/Start Up Sales Experience)
Director, Merchant Partnerships – Standards
1. Meet Annual Revenue Quota.
2. Negotiate and Close contracts between $100K and $5MM+ for terms of 6 months to multiple years.
- Prioritize time and efforts on the biggest opportunities.
- Understand your clients (current and prospective) business and industry.
– what are the trends in the industry?
– what are your clients overall objectives and strategies?
- Know who the decision makers are…know who the influencers are.
- Sell solutions to client challenges, not products.
- Own your contracts…it’s your business.
- Attitude – “You are the CEO of your territory and your VP is your investor.”
- Develop annual strategic Territory Business Plan.
- Develop individual Account (current and prospective) Business plans.
– Follow and execute
– Update when changes occur
– Review with your VP every 90 days
- Establish business relationships for the long term.
- Understand your customer’s goals and aspirations within their organization.
- Establish a basis of equality.
- Utilize the resources of the organization (RMS, Marketing, etc.) to provide excellent service and support.
Training and Development:
- Keep current and have a thorough understanding of all new Company product introductions and enhancements.
- Attend Business Training Seminars on topics such as:
– Negotiation skills and Account Penetration techniques
– Controlling the selling process
- Participate in local Business Clubs to
– Network and improve your presentation skills
- Read Business/Sales Books